Wednesday, November 28, 2007

EEK, a mouse!

A few days prior to Thanksgiving I had a crazy thing happen! We live in an old house (1875), so with living in an old house comes it's drawbacks - a main one in the winter being MICE! We get them every year without fail. We have a cat, so she's been great at getting them each winter - she's our Mouse Slayer! Well, this one particular morning, I was getting a shirt out of my closet (barefoot since I'm still in my pajamas) and I feel this scratching on the top of my foot, followed by a furry scurry across my foot!!!! It wasn't my cat since she was downstairs and the bedroom door was closed. And besides, the furry scurry was MUCH too small to be my cat!

So, needless to say, I freaked out! I did not make a sound, surprisingly! I started flailing my arms everywhere and I did what some would deem to be River Dance! I then just stood there for about 5 minutes just staring into my closet. Like that was going to solve anything!!!

Well, 2 days ago, my cat FINALLY caught the mouse and brought it downstairs into the living room for us to examine - yes, the mouse was still alive, and it was HUGE! She likes to "play" with the mouse and then catch it again, and then play, etc etc. She had let the mouse go and it tried to run up Vince's leg for shelter!! He screamed and I went flying through the hallway - where I ended up standing on one of our kitchen chairs!!

We haven't seen the mouse since, but there is this funky smell coming from the heating vent, which leads me to believe the mouse crawled in there to hide, and has since departed this world! Vince is going to investigate that tonight - I"ll be downstairs curled up on the couch holding Elijah tight so as not to "interfere"!!

Anyone else have fun rodent experiences?! ha!

2 comments:

Little Miss Know it All said...

Oh yes. Our last home...it had sat empty for a year, so the critters had moved in. Our cat was in heaven! Anyway, one night at about midnight, we feel the cat jump on the bed, no problem, except we feel scurrying and then a pounce, scurry, pounce...she'd brought a mouse to bed to play with! I've never been much of a 'girly girl' but that night, I was up on the bed, shrieking at James "Get it off! Get it off!" Yuck!

Our current house gets lots of them in the yard (love the neighborhood cats--and owls--that keep the population down) because of the woods and farms nearby. Nearly every day we look out and see a hawk/owl/cat stalking something in the grass...its a great nature lesson for the kids!

Unknown said...

I seem to remember you and I on a chair in your dining area around a year ago. I also seem to remember Vince screaming then too.. I am sensing a pattern!!! Smoochesx3.. he he he