Tuesday, July 25, 2006

OK - New Job Alert!

Well, I suppose I should give details about my new job! I'm already excited about it, and I haven't even started it yet! Anyway, my title is Assistant to the Director of Patient Accounts - and this is for the Health Alliance in Cincinnati. It's the job that I wanted, and it was exactly what I needed for a change. It seems to be a better work environment, it's at a better location (only 10 minutes from home), and just all around better. It's a BIG business, so none of this shady stuff that goes on in private practices. It has better values and core beliefs, and I'm just so excited about it.

This all happened so quickly too! I just started sending out resumes last week, Wednesday night and Thursday night. I got a call from them on Friday wanting to talk with me. Well, HR and I played phone tag for a few days, and I finally talked with them on Tuesday. We set up the interview for this afternoon, and I went there and filled out all the paperwork and such. I interviewed with HR for about an hour, and then I went and met with the director (my new boss) and we talked for about 15-20 minutes. I have been praying all along that God would just show me which job was the right one and give me peace about it. Well, here are some good signs :-)

During the interview with the diretor, he asked why I was leaving my current job. I told him that I was leaving due to some unethical issues going on that went against my beliefs and I didn't feel comfortable staying there. He got this grin on his face, and said he left a job once for the same reason.

Thank you God!

Then, before I met with the director, he asked the HR guy if he needed to see me afterwards, and he said no, so we carried on with the interview. After the interview was over, he said, let's go see Ted (HR guy). Clued me in to something possibly good happening. We walked in and he said (and I quote), "Ted, I want Abby. Get the paperwork together, offer her the job, and call the others and tell them the job is filled." WOW! I'm still amazed!

Then came the touchy subject of money! That's always a kicker :-) Well, I have to say that I make pretty decent money at the job I'm currently at. I am thankful for that because we haven't had to go without. So, that being said, we've centered our bill paying around our income, and taking too large of a cut would really be not so good, so that I might have to take a 2nd job a few nights or something. I was really praying that it wouldn't come to that. Well, they talked and such and came back in, and Ted started the conversation with, "keep in mind that you will have a raise in 5 months, and there is a quarterly bonus that can be anywhere from 2-5f your salary. So, that's 4 times a year that you can get that. And they've been averaging 4.5he past 2 quarters." So, of course I'm thinking, this salary is going to be a huge cut, and he's trying to lessen the blow. Then he told me the figure, and my insides jumped in excitement! It is only 20 cents less an hour than I am making now. It is only $500 less a year! And the quarterly bonuses can be up to $1850!!! WOW! And with the amount of overtime I'm always putting in and not getting paid for (SALARY STINKS!), it ends up being more than what I am making now in the long run. God is SO good!

God has answered each one of my prayers in regards to finding a new job:
1. Make the process go fast - 1 week, I think that's pretty fast!
2. Give me peace about the decision I've made to stand up for what I believe in - my new boss did the same thing I did!
3. Provide for our family with a similar income - same if not more when it call comes down to it!
4. Stability in hours - 8-5, Monday-Friday - no crazy hours!

God is so good!

I start my new job on August 7! I will give my notice on Monday, which I admit, I'm a little timid about right now the way things have been lately, but God will get me through. Plus, I have almost 3 weeks of earned time that will have to be paid to me as well, and she WILL pay that to me. It will be nice to have the extra money to pay some things off while I'm transitioning between jobs.

Still, every day, I'm thankful for God's grace in getting me through this difficult time in my life. It's been a rough year, yes a year. But God knows our struggles, He knows our wants and needs. He's there to get us through each day, and He has delivered me in so many ways. I think Psalm 37:4 says it best - "Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." I'm thankful that God has seen fit to give me the desires of my heart.

**UPDATE** (I started this blog the other day!!)

I gave my notice yesterday at my current job and I thought that it went well, but today proved that thought wrong. My current boss is being really awful towards me and making the last 2 weeks extremely difficult to get through. Vince keeps telling me (and I'm trying to tell myself) that this is just for technically 5 1/2 more days, and then I'm out of there for GOOD! This is now my theme throughout the next 2 weeks:


God grant me the SERENITY to
accept the things I cannot change;
COURAGE to change the things I can;
and WISDOM to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it:

Trusting that He will make all things
right if I surrender to His Will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him forever in the next. Amen

Did you know the Serenity Prayer was actually that long?! Anyway, it really fits this situation! So does this:

Proverbs 3:5,6
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge HIM, and HE shall direct thy paths."

Thanks for all the prayers! I can feel God working through everyone!!

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Congratulations on the new job, Abby! The Lord is good and it sounds like He led you to a wondeful work envioronment. I will pray that the last few weeks at your old job go quickly! We serve an awesome God! Praise the Lord for how He answered your prayers so specifically.
Kelli Frey
PS. I am not sure if you found read my other comment that I left last week or so!

Troy & Sherry said...

abby - this is sherry from northland camp - do you remember me? check out our blod and drop me a line someday :)
awesome news about the job - yahoo!

Shannon Smith said...

Congrats on the new job. That sounds very similar to a situation I went through in April finding a new job. Mine was a bit more drawn out though. I was working a job in a not so good environment and the Lord provided me with an AWESOME job (also in the health care field).