"Hypothyroidism refers to any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. There are many disorders that result in Hypothyroidism. These disorders may directly or indirectly involve the thyroid gland. Because thyroid hormone affects growth, development, and many cellular processes, inadequate thyroid hormone has widespread consequences for the body."
* Hypothyroidism refers to any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal.
* There are many disorders that result in hypothyroidism.
* The thyroid gland is regulated by another gland that is located in the brain, the pituitary.
* Hypothyroidism is a very common condition.
* The symptoms of hypothyroidism are often subtle.
* With the exception of certain conditions, the treatment of Hypothyroidism requires life-long medication.
I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism this past week. I didn't even see it coming. I didn't even think something like this would be happening to me. I went in to follow up with my RE (reproductive endocrinologist) to have a follow-up regarding my PCO Disease (Polycystic Ovaries Disease). He had me do all the bloodwork and such (3 needle sticks and awful bruises to show for it STILL!). He was having so many tests run, I didn't know what they all were. Obviously, my thyroid levels were one of them. I had my thyroid tested previously when I was dealing with my infertility and weight issues, and it came out fine. Although, I've been reading up about Hypothyroidism this weekend, and some sources say that pregnancy can trigger it. Who knows - but it definitely explains A LOT of things! I was chalking most things up to being a new mom and having a 7 month old (highly active 7 month old!) at home. Who would have known?!
So, now I'm on medication (Synthroid) to get my levels in check and I go back in a month to see if the medication is working. More blood work (with I'm sure more bruises!) and then we go from there! I went in there on NO medications, and now I'm on 3! Synthroid for my Hypothyroidism, Glucophage for my PCOD, and immodium (strictly for the AWFUL side affects of the Glucophage!)
See, I knew it! Turning 30 meant everything went downhill! There was a reason I didn't want to turn 30! HA! Well, if anyone knows anything more about Hypothyroidism, feel free to drop me a line! I'm still learning as I go!!
Monday, February 04, 2008
Hypothyroidism
Posted by Abby at 8:12 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
My mom was diagnosed a couple years ago, and has noticed a real difference in her energy levels since beginning her synthroid. I will pray the same for you!!
WOW, what a bummer. I've heard of it, but don't know much about it except that I think it can be hard to regulate. Will be praying for you! Keep us updated!
I know taking medication stinks, but I really hope it helps! I'll be praying that it does.
Janelle Stokes
my sister has hyperthyroidism...which if left untreated can cause graves disease...which she also has. i think it has pretty well been handled by medication but she had a few bad years when we didn't know what was wrong with her - i am glad they diagnosed you quickly.
Abby,
I have been taking synthriod since highschool and have not had any problems as long as I take my medicine. When and if you start thinking about having another baby have your blood taken often since thyroidism can cause miscarriages and during pregnancy since my levels and medicine changed all the way up to a year after I had Noah. It stinks to have to take the medicine but maybe you will be one of the "lucky" ones who can stop after awhile.
How funny that you should post this - though I'm reading it much after the fact. I have the exact same problems. I have PCOS and hypothryroidism. I take the same medicine as you except for the immodium. I never knew there was a drug that could help with the side effects of glucophage - because you're right, it's AWFUL! If you have any questions, feel free to email me at kellyannrad@yahoo.com I have been dealing with this for a few years and have read a lot about it. I even read a great book regarding PCOS and your fertility. Getting pregnant can be challenging with PCOS - though obviously you were able to do so.
Post a Comment