While the farmer's market is up and running, I am wanting to get veggies and fruits and work on making baby food for Elijah. Yes, he's only 3 months old, and won't be eating this for a few months, but I would like to start making it while I can get the veggies & fruits fresh. So, here's my question - any good ideas/recipes for homemade baby food? I'm thinking carrots, peas, green beans, squash, mixed veggies (carrots, peas, green beans), and peaches. What else is there that I can make for Elijah???
Thursday, September 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Woo hoo for you, mama! way to think ahead! Aaron's faves were avocado, sweet potato, applesauce and pear sauce.
Abby ... wow you look so much like Amy the picture threw me. Anyway about the baby food ... don't forget the applesauce ... that's so easy ... I'm am so happy for you.
Georgia M
Way to go- doing your own baby food. I got a 2 cup food processor and it made it so easy for quick meals. It's so much nicer and convenient to do it yourself- I think. I read a good book that was helpful called the "Well-fed Baby". Maybe your local library will have it. Some books I think stress a little much on how exactly you have to make it and the more you do it the easier it gets. Sweet potatoes were one of Esther's favorites and applesauce was an easy, fast snack. Wal-mart has a whole line too of unsweetened fruits, no-salt added veggies. It's not totally natural but it's cheap and easy to do when fresh isn't available.
I second Jenny's list of Aaron's favorites....they were the top ones for my boys. Don't forget mashed banana too - one of my favorites - just peel and mash...that simple. I checked out a baby food cookbook from the library when Ian was little, but can't remember the name. However, it's not really a big deal, just cook, put in food processor and add water to the consistency you desire. I also stored mine in ice cube trays for easy portions. You're doing good to be planning so far ahead!
Ditto to everyone else's comments, I also froze stuff in ice cube trays to pop out easily and microwave when I needed it. Sweet potatoes, applesauce, broccoli, and pumpkin are good too. I have an AWESOME cookbook that I used to mix things up for Chloe when she first started out. It's called "First Meals" by Annabel Karmel. It's great because she gives recipes for mixing foods together and even adding a few spices. Another plus about the book is that it goes through age 5 with appropriate nutritional recipes so I'm still using it for food ideas!
oh my word, you guys are all so amazing. wow.
Post a Comment